Wednesday, February 15, 2006

8/16/05

To: Lexington County Sheriffs Department
521 Gibson Road
Lexington, SC 29072

From: Walter L. Ellis
315 Neal St.
Ruston, LA 71270

To Whom It May Concern:
Please be advised that my mailing address have been changed as I previously related to your office via telephone. On that date prior to June 21,2005 I also spoke to a clerk Rebecca, and asked for another court date due to my being injured and hospitalized and not able to attend the court hearing set for June 21,2005. I also spoke to your assistant on the same date as I spoke to Rebecca asking for your department’s procedure in filling a complaint against Officer Troutman and others present at the scene of my arrest and detention on 5/5/05, where I was held in excess of 6 hours, at times not allowed to use the restroom and verbally abused by Troutman and other so called law enforcement officers.
As a former police officer myself I hope this officer, you and others members of the SWANSEA POLICE DEPT. and Lexington County Sheriffs Dept., don’t treat all minorities and your majority citizens as I have been by these so called law enforcement officers, with one exception that being the State Trooper who was professional, and should set an example for what your department needs to strive to attain.
On two or more occasions prior to June 21, 2005 I was told by officials in your office that you would call me regarding this complaint. After not hearing from you by telephone, I can be reached (951) 956-0343, (951) 452 9160 or toll free (866) 276-2294, I decided to come to SWANSEA on 8/15/05 at which time Rebecca advised she would have you to call me on that date upon your return to your office. So far I haven’t heard from you. I have asked, and again ask for procedures where this matter can be adjudicated by written correspondence. It is at least a nine hour drive from my location to your town, which creates a hardship particularly since I am not guilty of the allegations made against me. I am the offended, rather than the offender. (see attached documents).
Due to you and your officer’s violation of my civil and human rights, I am in the process of filling a formal complaint with the United States Department of Justice. I ask that you provide me with a copy of the police reports of the four agencies present, including that of the SWANSEA PD, LEXINGTON COUNTY SHERIFFS DEPT., and any of the Federal Officials present that are in your possession. I also request that the failure to appear be withdrawn, issued 07/26/2005.
This is another example of how your department operates in its attempt to put as many Black people in prison as possible for your own personal reasoning. This order was issued after I was told by your clerk Rebecca prior to June 21, 2005 that I would be given a later court date and would be advised by mail. When contacted at your office on 8/15/05 with my wife present, Rebecca advised and apologized for forgetting to send the court date notice. On this date when speaking with Rebecca with my file in hand, she did not advise nor was I aware that a warrant notice had been issued for you to falsely arrest me a second time, which I believe is your intent. I respectfully request a written reply to this complaint.

No comments: